Dust off your passports: Junkee Media and AWOL are looking for a full-time travel and commercial content writer to join its team based in Redfern, Sydney.
Junkee Media’s clever, funny, and relatable take on travel, pop culture, lifestyle and music has seen it develop a strong and dedicated following across its three iconic brands, Junkee, Punkee and AWOL.
Following a short hiatus for ~ pandemic reasons ~ we’re planning on re-launching AWOL just in time for the borders to open up and (hopefully) restrictions to ease. We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about helping young audiences live their best lives, whether they’re exploring the globe or their own backyard.
So if you’ve always dreamed of being a travel writer, and have a solid understanding of digital publishing principals and how to reach a broad online audience, this is your chance.
The Ideal Candidate
Will be a super fast writer with a love of travel and a desire to expand your horizons — both online and IRL. You’ll have the ability to nail the right tone of each piece, delivering consistently high-quality copy every time. You will write daily stories across a wide variety of topics, with a particular focus on domestic and international travel, events and listings, as well as the ability to work closely with our commercial team producing content for our brand partners.
You’ll also be an ideas generator and master storyteller who thrives on collaborating with the wider editorial team. You understand the digital journalism industry and go above and beyond to deliver original ideas. You should be well versed in social media and how to get your content seen as widely as possible, so a proven track record of amplifying content digitally will be looked upon very favourably.
- Work closely with the editorial team to pitch and write stories across all of AWOL’s verticals and Junkee Media’s brands.
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in writing and editing.
- Published examples of writing across entertainment and lifestyle publishers.
- A deep knowledge of distributing content through social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment both autonomously and in a team.
- Collaborating with the wider Junkee editorial team as required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Journalism, Media and Communications or related field is preferred, but not essential.
- 1-2 years’ experience working in editorial, creating written content.
- Strong understanding of, and passion for, lifestyle, pop culture, and Australian reality TV.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
If this sounds like the perfect job for you, please email your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Travel & Commercial Writer”.